Monday, February 6, 2023

Karal Didn't Want to Say Good-Bye, and Did a Dramatic Departure, Leaping in Mimi's Chair to Give Final Kisses to Papa Butch

 ...and then she slept the entire way home on the thru-way. 

Normally, I take 17, but I thought I'd stay safer on the flatlands with more traffic (and there was much more traffic...actually takes 45 minutes longer to pay for the faster route). Not my preference, but with the temperatures from the weekend, I didn't want to hit any froze patches, nor to get stuck on the side of the road in villages where no one lives. 

Truth also is that on Saturday, when I went to Wegmans for my parents, my check engine light came on. It showed that I had low tire pressure, an emission problem, and a hill-climb something or other. It seemed odd that is sparked all that when it was -10 degrees, so I waited until I got back to my parents and looked it up. Reports showed that it is common for check engine lights to come on after frigid cold weather. Well, on Sunday, when I got up and left Syracuse, the tire lights went off, but the Check Engine light stayed on. I made it safe to Stratford, met Tunga, walked the dog, and then when I headed out for dinner, the lights no longer came on. I think my Subaru simply wanted to be in 45 degree temperatures for a while. Hoping it stays that way. 

Yes, in case you're wondering, there is still the smell of dead mice in my house, but it's not as bad as it was. I talked to my neighbors who live next to the decaying house (who has recently redone all the siding) and they said, "Yep, their house was infested with mice as soon as they started construction. All the critters living in the walls needed somewhere to go and they built nests in their garage." They showed me pictures of their furniture and in one week at Christmas, while they were away, the mice chewed their couch cushions and left feces in all their baby things (they just had a baby). They stayed away for two weeks and had the house fumigated. This must be when they chose to investigate my house and found Edem's bedroom on the 2nd floor. Needless to say, we've made a pact to report any suspicious activity to one another. They reported the man who resided his house is trying to move.

I can't imagine what the inside of that house looks like. For years, we've watched raccoon and possum climbing out of the upstairs windows. It's a mess. 

I'm hoping this phase will be short lived. It's been cold, they're nesting, and their habitat was taken over. It's simply gross. 

Finally, I'm thankful for the boxes and boxes of books that have arrived. One week away, I probably could open another book store. It's a love circumstance of my life since The Write Time began. I just wished I could have more authors on every month!

No comments:

Post a Comment