Sunday, February 19, 2023

The Greatest Gifts Always Arrive with the Simplicity of Company & Growth - the Dogs Always Know Who They Love Most

Day three of birthday celebrations were a few beers at Dockside with friends. Chitunga, Leo, Bev, Oona, and Pam treated me to a gorgonzola burger and pierogis, and I was gifted socks, Basil Hayden, and a few hours to talk with the kid about his move to Iowa, his next steps, and a more than enthusiastic interlude with Karal, who refuses to give him any space.

She knows. I know. Time is precious. 

We talked, I learned the plan of action and dreams, and Karal provided tongue licks, toys, and a more than hyper tail whipping in every direction it could. 

Hard to believe all these years later a lateral move will bring him to Des Moines, sincere happiness with his choices, and the possibilities of all still to come. 

It was hard to drive him to LeMoyne in Syracuse, but two degrees and a career later, he's on his feet, ready for big moves, and ready for the self-definition still to come.

We sipped the Basil Hayden, exchanged stories, and laid out a mini-plan for his big, 18-hour drive trip to a new state. He's secured an apartment near his office, knows his money will go further in the midwest, and has readied himself to be (quite frankly) totally like me -- on the move to figure things out on his own terms. His new apartment has a guest bedroom, so I'll have a place to stay when I visit (and I told him, "Trust me, you'll be more than ready for me to leave").

And so, my 51st birthday celebration can come to a close. The stories will continue. I cannot be prouder of the human being he's always been and continues to be. We stood in the kitchen and looked at Leo's painting of Papa Butch. It's special, and I know one day I will gift that artistry to him.

Cat Stevens, I'm singing "Father and Son," as it has played in our household for many years. To quote the Mandalorian, "This is the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment