Friday, February 10, 2023

Can't Help But Recall Monty Python's The Holy Grail. "Tis but a scratch," as the Days are Sisyphean with so Much Ground Hog's Day

It's a bad analogy, but I've been telling everyone I feel like a turd being flushed down a toilet, hoping he can find a way to swim out of the predicament. It's not true. I have more free will and agency than that, and I have my sense of humor. It's like watch the wounded after a war, and being told by the medics, "Now it's time for a way to heal yourself. How can you fix what just happened so that it doesn't happen again?" 

Is it military training? 

Well, the good news is that K-12 schooling has trained me for what matters most...the investment in relationships, doing what is good and right (perfect for today's MLK Youth Leadership Academy with 120 young people and celebrating Torrey Maldonado's Hands by putting the new book in the hands of readers. I also get to work with teachers today and that is a total joy.

I'm a free-bird, who doesn't respond well to clipped wings. I know too well why they sing.

So once again I'm reaching into my treasure chest of love, joy, laughter, and those who do the great work I admire (including the books they write that make a difference in the lives of young readers).

Today is one of my favorite days of the year....a tradition handed down to me from Dr. Yohuru Williams, who has modeled, demonstrated, offered, and lived integrity throughout his life. I'm fighting onward because of him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment