Wednesday, February 1, 2023

This Is the Face of a Scholar Teaching Online While Attempting to Get a Semblance of Time-Away in a Make-Shift Trip to CNY (to see the parental units)

I knew the hardest part of this extended trip to Syracuse would be the days I needed to teach. I'm used to the 14-hour sequence, but am not sure that my parents are used to someone who works that long, who sticks to himself, and who is rather non-communicative (hey, I did do a Wegmans/Walgreens run...I did well). 

This morning and afternoon, I teach the last of my classes, a conglomeration of 40 students between two sections with the intent that next week, we head out to schools (which is another layer of arrangements that go beyond the call of duty and are somewhat difficult to navigate from a state away).

I got my roast beef sub yesterday at Wegmans, though. All is well. Today is another day. 

I am, however, looking forward to 2 pm when the teaching obligations subside and I can breathe a little bit at the house I grew up in (mainly to get food, see people, and attend to family gatherings). I know this week was a good one because the meetings were null (that's hard to believe, but I seriously didn't have a single meeting this week, and know I will pay next week when every second of the day is scheduled by the agenda of someone else.

In truth, I want today's classes to end so I can do a visit to Syracuse Academy of Science to see Abu and Lossine in their schooling environment. It's long overdue and I can't wait. Hoping I can hop over before their school day ends. 

And that means there are only 2.5 hours of teaching to accomplish before I can make this happen. I can then put my books away for a couple of days and enjoy the sub-arctic temperatures, frigid toes, and impossible wind-chill. 

Hey, it's CNY!

And it's officially February.

No comments:

Post a Comment