Friday, February 17, 2023

Greatest, Unexpected Gift of a Lifetime: a Painting of Butch (I'm a Son of Butch) as Crafted by a Friend, Leo Robinson. Touching on All the Levels

It was a busy birthday, but Leo said he wanted to stop by and could contend with spastic Karal, who was more than thrilled to have a guest on Mt. Pleasant. I got a beautiful birthday muffin (and Roast Beef horseradish sandwich) from the incredible Tim Huminski at Joel Barlow High School. Mr. Dave Wooley did me right with an old fashion, a gourmet burger, latkes, and a red velvet cake for dinner, and Leo came by with an original painting of my father that he did based on a photo off Facebook (and my father said, "Hey, that's me. How'd he do that?"). 

Every time I look in the kitchen I'm thinking, "Yo, dad. What are you doing here?"

I love it. 

I will say that with Facebook messages, texts, emails, and calls, the 51st birthday did me in. I like low key, silent days where I can get the most work done, but I appreciate all the correspondence and I'm humbled by the love and support. 

TGIF. I simply want a day in the office, to catch up, to plan ahead, and to ready myself for the weekend. It is overwhelming to get so much attention in a 24 hour period, but I loved it all. It's soul fuel, and I feel it all. 

Here's to 5 decades and one year. Let's hope there's many more to come.

And as I post this, Karal is spazzing to go out for a walk. But it's raining! She has to wait to 3 pm when it all blows away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment