Saturday, April 15, 2023

Who Says You Can't Write a Poem About Scaled Skin, Middle Age, and the Plague of Genetics? #VerseLove Day 14 Would Reckon You'd Be Wrong

The prompt was to imagine two peckers on your shoulders (I didn't go there, although I could have) and to turn a pesky frustration into something positive. My mom, followed by my sisters, have had psoriasis for as long as I can remember. I felt fortunate, I suppose, that I didn't begin getting my first splotches until my 40s. To say they've taken over my legs is an understatement. The Kennelog shots work, but they don't last forever. I look forward to my yearly stingings. Right now, I look like I have chicken pox, measles, and leprosy. My legs are the worst they've ever been, and for the first time, they are arriving to my forearms and elbows. 

When I was a teenager, I had eczema real bad in my joints: armpits, arms, and back of the legs. Then one day, POOF, it went away. I can't help but see the connection with the psoriasis. It's a family thing...I get that. And I also know the more stressed I get the more my legs burn. My legs have burned tremendously this year as a result of campus shenanigans. I try to do mindfulness, but my body doesn't get fooled by me. Instead, frustrations and meetings simply trigger them to catch fire. 

And so a poem. Thankful for the prompt...Loved making the graphic, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment