Thursday, April 27, 2023

#VerseLove, Day 26, 2023: Take a Line from Another's Writing & Make It a Title, Then See Where Your Words Take You

When I learned of Donetta Norris's morning prompt, I looked at the pile of books around me and then pulled aside Carol Ann Davis's book, The Nail in the Tree: Essays on Art, Violence, and Childhood. For several years I've loved reading her poetry, and I knew that her meditation on Sandy Hook, art, and parenting was the right choice for the day. 


I don't think of that day much, but when I do, I think about Carol and her parenting of Wilhelm who was in 1st grade at another school - the Newtown Poetry Project she created, and CWP-Fairfield's support of the work. Here we are a decade later with more and more gun violence, disregard for schools and children, and stupidity. We have so much still to do...the fight continues.


My memories are far from a perfect machine, but they stay with me, as I'm sure they do all the families that lost children that day, those who lost colleagues and teachers, and the pain that remains in southern Connecticut. 




No comments:

Post a Comment