Friday, April 7, 2023

Decisions. Day 6 of #VerseLove and a Sijo, Korean-style Poem, Composed for the First Time, Simply Because I Own a Waving Cat from Japan

Maneki-miko - waving cat, keyojin - lunatic, macaronic - fusing languages for context

A little update on my world right now. Car smashed. House stripped of siding. Long weekend. Plans to do Syracuse for Kanyea's baby shower and family. Car still not done. Contractors need me here on Saturday for when they think they'll finish. Four more weeks of the semester. Recommendation season already in place. Still waiting on a couple more revisions for Writing & Pedagogy. House a mess (all items had to come off the walls for the construction. 

Semester more of a shit show than all of the shit shows of yesteryear put together. People walking. People leaving. People forced out. Confusion. Empty hallways. CWP-Fairfield work still full force (families signing up on the regular). Reports in stereo of faculty morale being down. I've made several life transitions and I'm not sure I have it in me for another one (although it's more and more tempting each and every day.

But I am thankful for #VerseLove and the fact that yesterday we were challenged to write a sijo, a Korean brevity poem of between 42-45 syllables (usually 3 lines). Although I practice being concise and sharp, I am an English language guy and love to play excessively. I think, however, this was a good prompt for me today...I need to zero in on what is most important. The Japanese waving cat (that is solar charged) acts as a metronome in my living room. I use it to keep tempo of my life (hence, the poem).

Here's to Friday. Here's hoping my car is done before the weekend. Here's hoping the insurance people will extend a rental over the weekend. Here's to finding calm.




No comments:

Post a Comment