Thursday, November 30, 2023

It's Always the Little Things That Come Randomly That Help to Align My Purpose in Life. 20+ Years Later, a Note from One of My Favorite Students Ever

The Class of 2001 will always have a special place in my heart, simply because they were my first fresh-people class and, because of luck and a change of grade level, I had most of them all four years they were in high school. Sad for them, they had this manic, whacky man as their only English teacher and so the bonds grew thick...so much so that I've often named my place int he universe in relation to them. When they graduated, I felt a chunk of my soul left with them and for years I measured my years to theirs. 

Yet time moves on and soon I stopped keeping track of their age and moved onto other classes, eventually a doctorate, and the life I currently live. They now are grown ups with families of their own, so that is why I cherished a note that came my way last night from Turtle....the boy who put wallflower into my spoken vocabulary and who was always at my side being a quiet presence always looking for mentorship, conversation, and guidance. Twenty-two years a tassels were tossed and trajectories went forward as they do. Twenty-two years later a note comes my way to throw me back to a time that once was - one that I've tried to recreate in all the work I currently do.

Hey Geek boy... every year in November I like to reflect on certain people that have helped to shape who I am proud to be today. I wanted to say I'm very thankful for you and who you were as a teacher and are as a friend.

I had heard some crazy stories about you coming into my freshman year and many were true. But right away I appreciated the space you created, not only for me to grow, but for others as well. You lit a fire in me to read and consume books. I loved reading and it helped me escape chaos or helped me endure long Tarc rides. 
You always expected more from me, but you also knew when and how to extend grace. I really found a voice in my writing during that time, I believed that I could do more than run fast or jump far. You stood by my side and defended me when you didn't have to. I remember a school councilor called me arrogant and you stepped in, when I applied for GSP and you helped me with my application. You were always a champion.
You even told me I would be a good teacher one day... something that was never on my radar but today I live instructing and adding value to others. A lot of my passion to help comes from what you modeled. You saved a lot of people from a lot of things in those days and I love you for that!
When I instruct I know that it's not everyone I have to reach; it's the ones that need it or are ready to receive it, and I give them my all as a result of the fact that you did it for us.
Thanks Too-Fly-for-a-Bry-Guy... This is 20+ years late, but your impact has been a meaningful one to me and my family.

The season of thankfulness is upon us and I greatly appreciated a random note out of the blue. Sue McV modeled for me that there's no learning without a relationship and in my bedroom, I keep a picture of Turtle and Eagle (my son, Chitunga) who met at the Clam Bar in upstate New York on one of his business trips to the military base where my nephew was also once stationed. He was a clinical psychologist who worked with soldiers at the time. The fact that generations of Crandall met one another was beautiful, and it's a remind of why I live the life I do. 

Sue always says, "They grow up and we're a part of the process." Funny, Sue. I'm still growing up and learning from you. This is the power of teaching. This is the beauty of investing as a human into another human being.

This world needs more ponds and Frogs who have no idea what they're doing, but always trying their best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment