Wednesday, November 29, 2023

So, I'm a Doctor Who Marries @Beyonce in NYC, Proud of My Mini-Van & $300,000 Salary While Living in a Mansion. Yup.

This is why I love teaching young adult literature. I don't know how it happened, but while reading science fiction/fantasy novels last night a student wrote the word MASH on the top of her paper and when I asked her what it was about she said, "Mansion, Apartment, Shack, or House," a middle school game she and her friends used to play. Before I knew it, she was up on the white board sketching categories of car, income, job, lover, & city. 

She took control of the class and before I knew it I was in a relationship with Beyoncé. Well, hello. I love middle school. Let me live in that world.

Apparently, it's a trendy game this generation played in their pre-teen years to predict their futures and it all had to do with the spiral. She asked me to make a spiral on the board, which I did, then counted the lines to figure out a numerical pattern to delete possibilities from the random list she asked me to name. 

I ended up being a doctor who lives in NYC, loving a mansion with Beyoncé as my wife, and a mini-van of all vehicles. 

A man can dream, right? The funny thing is that 80% of the class were used to the MASH game, which served perfectly for the middle-grade and high school literature we read collectively this semester. I'm fair game for the wisdom of my students, and any chance I'd get to even be related to Beyonce is fine by me.

Truth is, I heard of her, but it wasn't until the Super Bowl halftime show in 2013 that I ever paid any attention. My lord, hands down the best half-time ever. I was sold. Of course Beyoncé would be on my celebrity crush list. Glad she one, although I'm sure she'd feel otherwise. 

It was a perfect, student-centered moment at the end of the class that captured the audience and made the students stay longer. They were intrigued and remained connected. 

Phew. The mini-van, though. I'm glad that never came to fruition, although I'll take the mansion, love life, salary, location, and occupation. I mean, it's so very close to the truth, ain't it?

Hello, Beyoncé. What can I make for dinner? I'm a good cook, actually. I'd love to show you what I can do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment